Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Whose Reflection?



For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. Romans 8:29


The "Imago Dei" in Latin means the image of God. So according to this verse, we are being "conformed", or we are in a molding stage. We have not yet arrived, but we are being transformed.

So what can this transformation process look like?

Well, I can only tell you through experience that the times my perspective has changed from the Jennifer I know to an unbelievable extraordinary perspective, it came through suffering. I wish I had something more for you, but I don't. I know this doesn't sound like your "best life" or your dreams of being a movie star coming true, not that either of those are impossible. All I can tell you is that if you seek Jesus in your place of suffering, you will find Him. You will actually do more than find Him, you will conform to His image. People will see Jesus in you and you will look different, act differently, and probably not be popular in some circles. In order for people to accept you, they have to accept suffering as part of God's will, and who wants to do that?

I have heard the stories of persecution of our brothers and sisters in countries where believers are dying for their faith. They are rejoicing till the end through persecution as they sometimes have to flee for their lives.

My good friend has a son who went to Greece recently to bring aid to the refugees. Let's just say, I was on the "emergency prayer team". When he came back, I heard first-hand stories of his journey and the testing of his faith to stand in the face of danger as he experienced verbal threats of his safety. In the midst of all of this, a man came up to him and said he had a dream the night before about my friend's son telling him about Jesus. One of the most memorable stories was of one person who was in their group. A seemingly lucid man charged at him with a weapon and he mustered enough faith to speak, "stop in the name of Jesus!" At this command, the man dropped his weapon.

Do people leave a missionary experience like this and come back home to complain about the worship music or the wrong flavor doughnuts? Probably not.

After hearing these amazing testimonies, I thought, am I really a disciple of Jesus? I am afraid to walk through my neighborhood to invite someone to church. I recognize we all cannot go on life-threatening missionary trips, but what if our mission field is here in our fairly safe country?

What if our calling is to suffer in our daily circumstances and still remain true and faithful to Jesus? I am talking about dealing with a difficult boss or co-worker. I am talking about loving your ex-husband or praying for a difficult spouse. What if we could do this and at the same time still speak about the goodness of God?

Maybe we too can be conformed to His likeness in the midst of suffering with a purpose to share with others our faith in a God that we believe in...even when.




No comments:

Post a Comment

God is With Us

" and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:2...